Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Paper Mache Masks

About a year ago, I came across a broken Harry Potter Death Eater mask. I took it home, fixed it up, and painted it. I had a few flowers laying around, so I added them to the mask. This is the final product.

I was very satisfied with this mask, so I decided to paint some more. Dick Blick art supplies sells simple paper mache masks. Very simple and they have a nice paper surface.

The first two paper maché masks were painted to reflect my interest and love of Dia De Los Muertos. 

These were painted with acrylic paint.

The fake flowers add a nice touch to the mask.

I wanted to make my next masks look aged. I tried to thin out the acrylic paint, but I didn't get the aged look I wanted. I decided to try out water color. It worked perfectly on the brown paper maché.



This mask was based off of an Aztec Funeral Mask

The water color let the brown paper maché show through, which gave the masks a nice faded look to them. A thin point Sharpie was used to make the outlines dark and stand out. Each mask has a high gloss finish to them (you can probably tell that by the reflections on them). Each of them took awhile to make, but I really enjoyed the process. I plan on painting more in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment