Monday, January 20, 2014

My Masks

Here is a collection of masks that I have either made from scratch, or have purchased and painted myself. First, let's start out with the painted masks. These were purchased as blanks from Michaels Craft stores during the Halloween season. Some you may have seen in an earlier post.







These next few masks were made fully by hand. This first mask was used with plaster covered gauze. A skull bank covered in foil was used as a template.



These next two masks were made out of a cardboard template that I made, and then covered with paper maché.



This horned skull mask was made similarly to the plaster gauze mask. Using a foil covered skull template, the mask was made using paper maché and cardboard for the horns.

Papee flowers were then added, along with paper covered wire vines and leaves.


Inspired by Mayan and Aztec death masks, this mask was made of cardboard and paper maché. The top painted portion of the mask was covered in extra layers of paper maché paste to make it more sturdy. 







Back in 2012, my girlfriend and I attended the Dia de los Muertos event at the Hollywood Forever cemetery. We each wore masks that I made, and my girlfriend also wore a light-up flower crown that I built. It was powered by a small battery pack which was easily hidden in her dress.



The costumes were bits of costume pieces that we had. My shirt also lit up, as if I had been riddled with bullet holes. Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of the outfit with the lights lit.


No comments:

Post a Comment