Wednesday, September 14, 2011
Back on August 31, San Jose held their 3rd annual zombie crawl, "Zombie-O-Rama." After some brainstorming, my friends and I began work on our costumes. In total, it took about two weeks to finish the costumes, which included work with liquid latex and custom prosthetics. Below are pictures of the work I did on the costumes.
Liquid latex was very useful. In order to make sections of rotted flesh and intestines, I dyed the latex using acrylic paint and stage blood.
In order to make the intestines, I painted multiple layers of liquid latex on a board covered in plastic wrap.
After about 5-6 layers the latex was thick enough to work with without it breaking.
Using paper towels as the inside of the intestines, I began to wrap the latex onto the paper towels. The latex sticks to itself even after it is dry.
A finished intestine. I covered it with a thin layer of flour to keep the latex from sticking to itself while we worked with the intestines.
One idea I had was to make an exposed spine. Using cardboard, tape, fabric and liquid latex, I came up with this.
The spine was made to be flexible. If the person wearing it bent over, it bent with them.
Close-up of the spine.
For my zombie outfit, I wanted to have a hatchet sticking out of my back. This small axe is made of a paper towel roll, cardboard, and tape. It straps onto the wearer's back and sticks out through the clothing.
Here are some prosthetics I made and some makeup test runs.
These were made using a paper towel covered in colored latex. The teeth are made of cardboard, cotton balls and liquid latex.
Here are shots of the final costumes. I am very happy with the way they turned out. The exposed bone used on the jeans were part of a zombie costume that I owned. The patches of exposed flesh is fabric painted with latex and covered in fake blood.
A zombie press hat for my photographer friend.
Here are pictures of the zombie crawl. I am happy with the way the costumes turned out and I think I did a good job on my friends' makeup. The prosthetics turned out very good.
I want to thank Meghan Hoban for taking these pictures.
Overall I think the costumes and the Zombie Crawl were a big success. I am looking forward to the next zombie crawl. This was the first time I had used liquid latex. Now that I know how it works, there are a few things I would like to try out for the next event.